Two Builder Delays Cost Me a 6.1% Rate Lock and $4,650 in Extension Fees
My builder pushed completion twice while my 90-day rate lock ticked down. Each extension cost money and the second one cost me the rate itself. Here is exactly what the extension clause said, what I paid, and what I would demand in writing before signing another new-build contract.
The email arrived at 4:52 on a Thursday in March, and I read it standing in my kitchen with flour on my hands. "Completion has been adjusted to May 29." Twelve words. My rate lock expired May 8. My mortgage rate was 6.1% on a $412,000 loan. I put the phone down, washed my hands, and did the math on the back of a grocery receipt three times before I believed it.
At stake was approximately $220 a month. That is the difference between 6.1% and the 6.875% I was looking at on every lender site that afternoon. Over five years it is about $13,000, and my daughter's daycare tuition was already scheduled to jump by $340 a month that fall. I had signed the build contract in January precisely because the timeline fit the lock. Two working parents, one income about to pause for maternity leave in June. There was no slack anywhere in that plan.
twelve words on a Thursday
I called the loan officer that night and she said the phrase I have now absorbed to hate: "let's see what the extension options are." Nobody had noted extension options in January. Nobody had cited them when I asked, twice, what happens if the builder runs late. I would learn later that the answer was sitting on page 6 of the builder's addendum, in a clause titled "Purchaser Cooperation with Financing."
the fee nobody quoted me in January
Here is what the addendum actually said. If the closing date moves for any reason not solely the builder's fault, I could be charged 0.375% of the loan amount per 30-day extension to keep the rate. If the delay exceeded 90 days total, the original rate was void and the loan repriced at market. The builder's sales manager told me on the phone that delays "almost never happen on our communities." The permit log I later pulled from the county website showed this exact phase of this exact subdivision had already slipped twice the previous fall.
First extension: 0.375% of $412,000 is $1,545. The lender also required a refreshed credit report and a new pay stub, another $85 in fees that were somehow never called fees, just "updates." Second extension in late April, when the completion date moved again to July 2: another $1,545, plus the lock had now passed the 90-day ceiling, so the rate floated to 6.75%. Total damage between fees and repricing: about $4,650 in the first year alone, counting the higher payment for the months before I could refinance.
the release nobody read either
I wanna be fair to the arithmetic. The builder did credit me $5,000 at closing for the second delay, and I signed a release to get it. That credit felt like a win for about one hour, until I grasped the release language also waived any future claim related to "schedule adjustments." I had paid a lawyer $250 to read a contract in January. I did not pay anyone to read the one-page release in April. That asymmetry is the whole story.
what the lender admitted off the record
A week before closing, my loan officer said something I have repeated to three friends since. "On new construction, we price the lock assuming one extension. Two means the deal was underwritten on a fiction." She was not blaming anyone in particular. She meant the whole structure assumes a build finishes in 90 days when the industry's own data says most don't. NAHB figures have run around seven to nine months from permit to completion in recent years. A 90-day lock on a not-yet-started build is a mismatch baked into the product, and the extension fee is the toll for the mismatch.
the option nobody offered in January
So I asked her the obvious question: what should I have done? Her answer was unglamorous. Request a longer lock upfront even at a slightly higher rate, and get the builder to put the completion date and the delay remedy in the purchase contract, not a separate addendum. Some lenders sell 180-day or even 360-day new-construction locks for 0.25% to 0.5% more. On my loan that would have been approximately $1,030 to $2,060 up front. I paid $3,090 in extension fees plus the repricing instead, because nobody offered me the comparison in January.
the floating rate had one silver lining
mortgage rates had eased about an eighth of a point from their spring peak, so my final note came in at 6.625% instead of 6.75%. I'll take luck over skill in that trade, but luck is not a plan. The monthly payment landed at $2,639 versus the $2,519 I had underwritten in my spreadsheet. My spreadsheet did not have a line for a builder's electrician quitting in April. It does now.
the letter I now send before every contract
After closing I drafted a one-page email template and I have already sent it to two friends building this year. It asks four questions. What is the lock length and the exact per-extension fee as a percentage? What happens to the rate if the delay exceeds the lock window? Does the builder's delay credit survive if the buyer walks? And can the completion-date remedy live in the main contract instead of an addendum? Two lenders answered all four in writing within a day. The builder who caused this mess never answered any of them.
what I would tell my January self
I do not regret the house. My daughter's room has the south-facing window we asked for, and in August she stood in it naming the birds at the feeder like she had lived there her whole life. But I regret signing a financing structure I did not stress-test. If a builder's completion date is an estimate, then the rate lock hasta be sized for the estimate's error bar, not the estimate itself. That one sentence would have saved me $4,650 and a spring of checking a permit website at 11 p.m. with flour still on my hands. The grocery receipt is still in the drawer, by the way. I keep it where I keep the birth certificate, which is to say, with the documents that mark what things actually cost.